Our mission:

Read about A Voice of One's Own, where it came from, where it's going, and how you can join its chorus of love here!!

Also, feel free to contact us at voiceofonesown@gmail.com. Guest posting and new writers are not only welcomed, but encouraged, so please feel invited to send us a little taste of your voice :)

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Right Words For All Occasions

A long time ago I received a thank you card in the mail. Thank you cards aren’t really anything out of the ordinary, until you realize that it is from your brother. My relation isn’t the best at sending cards. He tries. So, I guess that’s all that matters? (Tell that to the people who sent you that lovely hand knitted sweater for your birthday.) Inside of the card my brother wrote, “It’s a comfort to know we can count on each other through whatever life brings.” I know, I know, how adorable is my brother? I almost got teary eyed when I read the thank you, until I finished (not e to self: one should always finish what one is reading). After the initial heartfelt confession, my brother wrote “Just kidding, I state that line from ‘The Right Words: For all Occasions.’” And then it all made sense.

I busted out laughing.

His sincerity was sweet, but it didn’t really feel like him. Something was off. Adding “Just kidding” became the right words for the occasion. I was filled with more joy and love knowing my brother was trying to make me laugh, than the corny phrase that never really says anything even though it is supposed to say everything.

When someone tries to make you laugh, they are trying to make you happy. There is nothing which conveys how much a person cares than the steps they take to make you laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment