Our mission:

Read about A Voice of One's Own, where it came from, where it's going, and how you can join its chorus of love here!!

Also, feel free to contact us at voiceofonesown@gmail.com. Guest posting and new writers are not only welcomed, but encouraged, so please feel invited to send us a little taste of your voice :)

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

odd thoughts for a twelve year old

I never really got into Pokemon. It wasn't because I was too cool for it or too old. I remember I was about twelve when it first became popular in the US. The TV show was on and everyone had the video game for their game-boys. I wanted to be part of this new and exciting thing. But the more I learned the more I was repulsed.

So this kid leaves home to participate in forcing animals to fight each other for entertainment. That part I couldn't get around no matter how hard I tried. I tried to play the video game but something just didn't feel right. Those cute little animals were cooped up in these tiny cages only let out to torture each other at the request of their "masters".

What concerned young Three Feathers even more was that nobody else seemed concerned. I mean twelve year old me knew it wasn't real. It was a fictitious world. But what a hell that must be for those poor animals. I didn't understand how this could become popular.

As the years passed and this fad became less important in my mind until nearly all memory of it faded away I stumbled upon a drawing I made in fifth grade. There is a cute furry creature trapped in a small cage. With the words "I don't understand" written over it.

Perhaps somewhere in this ridiculous situation is where you can find the origins of Three Feathers the activist.

No comments:

Post a Comment