Our mission:

Read about A Voice of One's Own, where it came from, where it's going, and how you can join its chorus of love here!!

Also, feel free to contact us at voiceofonesown@gmail.com. Guest posting and new writers are not only welcomed, but encouraged, so please feel invited to send us a little taste of your voice :)

Monday, January 10, 2011

Three different Feathers

My perception of what strength is has varied greatly over the years. So I have decided to take a look back at myself, when I was three, sixteen, and twenty-three. Although I know it is impossible to be objective about anything I am gonna do my best. I recently cleaned out my old room at my dad's house so I found a plethora (good word) of primary documents from my life. These ranged from school projects to old love letters, not to mention several hundred photographs. I am pretty sure I can use these to piece together my three ideas of what I though (and still think) what strength is.

Three Feathers circa 1990: My Father
This is pretty straight forward. Daddy Three Feathers could carry both Three year old Three Feathers and his sister at the same time. There was nobody in the world that was stronger than he. Granted Little Three Feathers didn't know about many other people yet, He hadn't yet come to that existential time-bomb.

Evidence: I found a drawing I did where my dad is carrying me on his shoulders, everything else around (trees, buildings, other people) him don't even reach his knees, He was a giant and as long as I was with him nothing could hurt me.


Three Feathers circa 2004: A Tough-Guy
Yeah, I know it is not quite objective to call this Three Feathers a jerk but thats what he was. This guy was way too cool for school. Sixteen years has given him enough time to know everything there is to know. Tired of getting beaten up for being a nerd he made the seemingly obvious choice of fighting back, even looking for fights. He smokes Lucky Strikes and drinks cheap whiskey. His idea of strength is not being a victim. He keeps a padlock in his pocket to hold in his fist if he needs it, and soon he will carry a switchblade. He is no longer that great of a student but at least no one calls him a nerd anymore.

Evidence: I still have, and sometimes wear my old leather jacket. I lost the padlock somewhere and I keep the knife in a trunk to remind me of what I learned from those days.


Three Feathers circa 2010: A Compassionate Worker
Twenty Three year old Three Feathers wants to live with the land as a farmer. His first farm boss taught him about "the good life" which consisted of three parts in order to succeed. Physical work, Working in the fields, exercise, etc. Mental work, Reading, computer work, etc. And Rest, lounging, sleep. This man has lived happily and intentionally with balance. Working outside and with his hands in this way is exactly what Three Feathers wanted so he sees this as a fantastic example to follow.

Evidence: Hmm, yeah my whole lets try to be objective hasn't really worked out has it? It was still a good exercise for me anyway so bully! Anyway, I have learned a lot from Adam and It only instilled my love for a days work, and my understanding for how fulfilling it can be. When you see the plants and animals you have helped grow by putting your (CLICHE ALERT!) Mind, Body, and Soul into it the feeling is so hard to describe I am not going to try and describe save this. It is the closest to a feeling of strength I have had in these past 24 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment