Our mission:

Read about A Voice of One's Own, where it came from, where it's going, and how you can join its chorus of love here!!

Also, feel free to contact us at voiceofonesown@gmail.com. Guest posting and new writers are not only welcomed, but encouraged, so please feel invited to send us a little taste of your voice :)

Friday, January 7, 2011

redefining strength.

So, lately I have been on this kick (which you have probably noticed) where I am all like: we're all one because we're all human and the more we try to act like we're not all one, the more we distance ourselves from our own spirits and from each other. Aka tragedy ensues!

*Side note: I think Strengths Quest is really fucking great, and I will have you know the Connectedness is in my top five--shocking? I think not.

Anyway, so I am all like trying to embrace my own humanity... can you hear the hippie-ness in my voice? I hope so. Imagine me with my eyes half shut kind of bobbing my head around. But hippie-ness aside, I really do believe in my heart of hearts that we are HARMING each other and ourselves by pretending we aren't all HUMAN. I really, truly, deeply believe in unity, in community, and in solidarity. I think they inspire love, justice, deep, profound joy, peace--both internally and externally, and solutions to huge problems that we face socially...

Okay, so, what the hell does it even mean to try to embrace one's own humanity? Well, it could be as simple as crying in public if I fucking feel like it or having the courage to ask for help when I need it. For me, it's not pretending that I am emotionless, that I am perfect, that I am not sexual, that I don't have any darkness in my life or in my past, that I am not capable of both being harmed or causing harm. It's refusing to let humanness be aligned with weakness.

But I get pissed off because society does exactly that. We align humanness with weakness... to be more precise, we more often align FEMININITY with weakness (what the fuck does femininity even mean... who decided all women were the same because if I find them I'm going to... give them a really dirty look!). But crying is not weak, it is honest and genuine and HUMAN. We all cry and I am so glad we do because it means something matters enough to us that it evokes deep emotion--when did it become weak to care? to love? to be real? I don't want to ever stop being real, to ever stop loving and caring with all of my being, to ever not be moved by emotion. I want to cry. And you know what? My tears will be as strong as my love, as strong as I am and they will be human.

--mt

No comments:

Post a Comment