Our mission:

Read about A Voice of One's Own, where it came from, where it's going, and how you can join its chorus of love here!!

Also, feel free to contact us at voiceofonesown@gmail.com. Guest posting and new writers are not only welcomed, but encouraged, so please feel invited to send us a little taste of your voice :)

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Won't You Come See About Me....I'll Be Alone Dancing You Know It Baby

“You see us as you want to see us…In the simplest of terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain, and an athlete, and a basket case, a princess, and a criminal…”

If I have to check off one more square to identify myself I am going to flip. I am not defined solely by my age, gender, religion, ethnicity, and whatever else can be described on a piece of paper. These words are just labels forced onto us by the man. I don’t want to be a statistic that makes some institution look more or less diverse. I want to be me.

That’s how I am going to identify from now on…I am me.

I am the shy girl who lets lose when she is near the ones she loves. I am the person who likes to speak in the third person. I am the Catholic who wishes she was Jewish who wishes she was Quaker. I am the little sister who is only happy when feeding her brothers peanut butter blossom cookies and banana muffins with a honey cinnamon frosting. I am the person who will not tolerate when people say “that’s so gay.” I am the movie loving, flip flop wearing, environmentally friendly hippie who just wants people to feel loved.

A box cannot define who I am.

I can’t even define who I am.

My identity is constantly changing…. Inside I am a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess, and a criminal.

I am beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment