Our mission:

Read about A Voice of One's Own, where it came from, where it's going, and how you can join its chorus of love here!!

Also, feel free to contact us at voiceofonesown@gmail.com. Guest posting and new writers are not only welcomed, but encouraged, so please feel invited to send us a little taste of your voice :)

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

This Little Light of Mine

So I was forced to take a Strengths Quest a while back, and I now know that my top strength is Achiever (womp, womp). It’s not the outgoing Woo or even the warm and fuzzy Compassionate (I just made that up, I don’t even know if Compassionate exists in Strengths Quest). I mean Achiever is cool, but I really don’t consider myself to be an Achiever, so I don’t identify with that strength. Instead I consider to be an Includer…at least that is what my mom always told me (and Strengths Quest, it’s my fifth strength). Basically, I just like to make people feel like they have a place, that they are welcome. This is where my desire to be a mom comes in. Everyone is special and everyone should feel loved—and as an Includer, I try to make that happen. It doesn’t matter if you like the Yankees (I might make fun of you a little), of if you wear all black, or if you are from Timbuktu, I want you to feel welcomed.

I know what it is like to be the one kid left out. My experiences when I was younger made me HATE (with a passion) my grade school and everyone in it. I don’t want other people to feel the same way; no one should bring hate into their lives.

I can’t really say how I would define myself. If someone asked me who I identify with, I wouldn’t have an answer (which would probably be an answer in itself because I am a pretty indecisive person). But I would like to think that I would say I’m an Includer –I’m not solely a woman, a sister, a daughter, a friend, an ally—I’m an Includer . No matter how you identify yourself, I am still going to love you and welcome you into my community. Everyone brings something special to the table. There is a light inside of each and every one of us. You just gotta let it shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment