Our mission:

Read about A Voice of One's Own, where it came from, where it's going, and how you can join its chorus of love here!!

Also, feel free to contact us at voiceofonesown@gmail.com. Guest posting and new writers are not only welcomed, but encouraged, so please feel invited to send us a little taste of your voice :)

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Voice that Inspires

As I wrote earlier, this month is the anniversary of my friends death. Although it was quite an awful time, I was helped through it not only my friends that knew him but when I came home from his funeral I had the support of one of my closest friends. She never actually met him, but she had spoken to him on the phone and probably shared emails. This is because she was my girlfriend when I lived in that farmhouse spring of sophomore year. Not just that but I was lucky enough that we remained friends after we broke up. We have shared experiences that will forever tie us together, both good and bad. She is amazing and I can fill pages with what we went through but that is not what I am going to write about today. We also share a personal hero, someone whose words speak to us to this day. Someone whose words helped me cope with my friends death, Robert F. Kennedy.

Now before I continue, I am not trying to change your politics. Nor am I saying you should even have a political stance. All I am saying is this man's words have moved me. He had seen his older brother killed a few years earlier for following what he believed to be morally right, and yet he refused to give in and he continued to strive toward what he believed to be right. Using him as an example, my challenge is to find words that inspire you.

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope... and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."
-Robert F. Kennedy

My hero, Robert Kennedy was assassinated on June 5, 1968. This is the audio from his eulogy delivered by his brother Edward using excerpts from Robert's speech to the students of a South African university in 1966. It is long but I encourage you to listen to the whole thing.



‎"Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not?" -Robert F. Kennedy

Peace, Love, and Hope
-Three Feathers

No comments:

Post a Comment