Our mission:

Read about A Voice of One's Own, where it came from, where it's going, and how you can join its chorus of love here!!

Also, feel free to contact us at voiceofonesown@gmail.com. Guest posting and new writers are not only welcomed, but encouraged, so please feel invited to send us a little taste of your voice :)

Saturday, September 25, 2010

True, Fine Love

True, Fine Love

Do you ever feel like a huge LOSER?

No, it’s just me.

OK, well I’ll share my thoughts.

I recently volunteered for a psychological interview. I was going strong until we got to the relationship portion of our shindig. At which point I realized I have never had one. The letters FML immediately popped into my head. I was sitting there in a small, scolding hot, white, four walled room, a nice looking gentleman staring straight at me, and I found myself verbally stating that I have never had a boyfriend (something I don’t like to mentally state). We’ll just say that this psychological interview put a damper on my day, making me even more unstable.

But after conferring with a friend, and by conferring I mean shouting very loudly into my phone, I realized this whole not having a boyfriend thing might be for the better. And here’s why: I have never defined myself based on the person I was in a relationship with. I’ve always been myself. I’ve never had to worry about not making the right choices for myself, because they wouldn’t be the right choices for my partner. Basically…I’m free.

Sometimes we need time to find out who we are. This period in our lives is jeopardized by what society tells us. What I have learned from society is that I need a boyfriend – immediately. And that isn’t the case. I’m fine on my own. I have dynamite friends, who I know love me for the person I have become on. That person was made without the interference of another person.

I’m not saying that I wouldn’t like to find me a true, fine love. But I don’t think that not having a boyfriend makes me an invalid – it also doesn’t mean I am going to turn into a cat woman. I’d rather be myself than be with someone. If I’m the only one who feels this way, than YAY! for me – but I have a feeling I’m not alone in my views.

At the end of the day be you, not who someone wants you to be.

1 comment:

  1. as a wise man once said... nothing to do, nowhere to be, a simple little kind of free, nothing to do, no one to be, is it really hard to see why i'm perfectly lonely?
    ps your friend seems really cool
    pps in all seriousness i (or john mayer) couldn't have said it better and pi pove poo for it

    ReplyDelete