Our mission:

Read about A Voice of One's Own, where it came from, where it's going, and how you can join its chorus of love here!!

Also, feel free to contact us at voiceofonesown@gmail.com. Guest posting and new writers are not only welcomed, but encouraged, so please feel invited to send us a little taste of your voice :)

Friday, December 10, 2010

i LOVE it that we are kinda strange!



So I found this song that may or may not sum up my friends and I. The first thing I heard and instantly fell in love with the song was “I like that we are kinda strange,” and we are kinda strange and I wouldn’t change it for the world. My roommates and I formed our own singing group (unofficially) and we just sing with our friends randomly anytime we hang out. We even have our own songs (you can’t touch our version of Build Me Up Buttercup). My roommate comes home one day with a deer skull he bought off eBay and a giant piñata that just sat there all year. What?! We have board game and card nights, when we go out we karaoke hard core and dance like we are literally the only ones there (god I love the looks I get). We have a room playlist called RAGE that has My Girl, Uncle Kracker, and Michael Bublé (wow do we know how to rage). And we just started playing robot unicorn attack on Facebook (if you don’t know it don’t look it up…it will take over your life). We are so so strange.

“Johnny puts the whiskey on the table/Calling out to everyone who's able/…/So won't you stay near?” We love people and could care less what they think about us. One of my roommate’s lines is “Gives a shit” whenever he gets a weird look for being absolutely off the wall (I’d like you to know Word thinks I should change “off the wall” to bizarre…meh…). And we invite people to join in our craziness cause sometimes is just so freakin fun to let go and rip it up on the dance floor or run around and chase your RA when they’re on duty after they ring your door bell (I’ve got a little game going of who can beat who…totally winning).

“She makes her mark; it's clear,/Checks herself, feeds the fear/Of the one tonight, the one with the light/That keeps shining.” Yeah it is hard to be yourself sometimes. For me it’s looking at others and knowing they are judging. Checking myself to see if I split ice cream all over myself or something (I am the messiest eater). And I do feed my own fear of bringing out that light in me that I want to shine to the world. I want to be reserved at times and not show my inner beauty that I know I have. But I’m able to push through. And it’s with the help of some amazing people…

“The taxi's is filled with 5,/He thanks the world he's alive,/Alive tonight, the beauty is honestly blinding./So take a look around,/Almost lost, we've finally found/The ones tonight, the ones with the light,/That keep shining.” And wow do I love to be alive. It’s just amazing being me and I love being with and around people that are themselves too. You see a pure side of a person when they just let go that sometimes I tear. When I see someone let go and go crazy I cry cause they shoot beams of light that I finally find and capture so I can go crazy to. It’s contagious. It’s utterly beautiful. I love being the one with the light. I love being with the ones with the light. I love being with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment