Our mission:

Read about A Voice of One's Own, where it came from, where it's going, and how you can join its chorus of love here!!

Also, feel free to contact us at voiceofonesown@gmail.com. Guest posting and new writers are not only welcomed, but encouraged, so please feel invited to send us a little taste of your voice :)

Monday, May 9, 2011

balance.


I’ve realized that I am much better at extremes than I am at balance. If you want something done big, I’m your girl, but otherwise, not so much... I need to work on this. I think it’s about time that my mantra shifts from consistency to balance. I don’t really know that I have achieved consistency, but, similarly, I don’t really know that consistency is something one can achieve per se. I suppose consistency, like so many other concepts I value, such as love and forgiveness, lies in the choices and decisions one makes time and time again, day in and day out. Time passes and I’ll just wake up one day and say: oh, man I’ve gotten pretty good at this whole consistency thing!

In other news, my newest addictions (speaking of my extreme personality) are: green tea, Ani DiFranco, desert boots, fruit pizza (see picture), Kashi cereal, Adele, chunky bracelets, painting my nails, and writing. Here is “Both Hands” by Ani DiFranco:

I am walking out in the rain

And I am listening to the low moan of the dial tone again

And I am getting nowhere with you

And I can’t let it go and I can’t get through…

And the old woman behind pink curtains

And the closed door on the first floor

She’s listening through the airshaft

To see how long our swan song can last

And both hands, now use both hands

Oh, no don’t close your eyes

I am writing graffiti on your body

I am drawing the story of how hard we tried, how hard we tried

I am watching your chest rise and fall

Like the tides of my life and the rest of it all

And your bones have been my bed frame

And your flesh has been my pillow

And I am waiting for sleep to offer up the deep with both hands

And in each other’s shadows we grew less and less tall

And eventually our theories couldn’t explain it all

And I’m recording our history now on the bedroom wall

And when we leave the landlord will come and pain over it all

And I am walking out in the rain

And I am listening to the low moan of the dial tone again

And I am getting nowhere with you

And I can’t let it go and I can’t get through

So now use hands, please use both hands

Oh, no don’t close your eyes

I am writing graffiti on your body

I am drawing the story of how hard we tried

How hard we tried, how hard we tried.


I would really suggest giving her a listen. I added her to my yoga mix, which is really saying something. Y'all know how I feel about yoga ;)

1 comment: