Our mission:

Read about A Voice of One's Own, where it came from, where it's going, and how you can join its chorus of love here!!

Also, feel free to contact us at voiceofonesown@gmail.com. Guest posting and new writers are not only welcomed, but encouraged, so please feel invited to send us a little taste of your voice :)

Thursday, November 4, 2010

what IS solidarity?

I think that compassion allows us to see ourselves in another, to recognize the human in another, and to extend that humanity to all people. I think that compassion, when cultivated, has the potential to lend itself towards solidarity.


So, what IS solidarity? The first time I gave solidarity sustained thought, I associated it with being untiringly ACTIVE. I have been told that solidarity means not sleeping until all people are sleeping with a roof over their heads and food in their bellies. Shit. I guess I can give up on sleeping, then. I have also been told that solidarity lies within the giving away of not only one's excess but of one's own possessions, only showering once a day, fasting, or sleeping outside. Eh, I don't know if I buy this.


So, for real this time, what IS solidarity? To me, it's oneness, unity and community. It's standing arm and arm with one another because we are human because we believe that we all deserve the same things. It is seeing yourself in everyone you meet--the little ones who can't fight for themselves, each person you pass on any given day, the ones doing our world harm...

Get your cute butt to this site and get your solidarity on: http://www.fallingwhistles.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment